My great grandmother is something of an enigma. We don't know exactly when she was born, or even her true name. She appears on BDM Certificates throughout the years as:
- 1861 Elasha McAvoy - daughter's Birth Certificate
- 1863 Allicia MacAvoy - son's Birth Certificate
- 1865 Allicia McAvoy - daughter's Birth Certificate
- 1870 Alice Foy - daughter's Birth Certificate
- 1874 Alice McAvoy - Will of Charles Wright
- 1874 Alice McAvoy - Marriage Certificate to Charles Brown
- 1877 Alice McEvoy - son's Birth Certificate
- 1885 Alice McAvoy - daughter's Birth Certificate
- 1928 Alice MacCalovoy - Death Certificate
We do know she was the partner of Charles Wright and had six children with him between 1861 and 1870, Five daughters and one son, my grandfather. After Charles died in 1874, Alice married Charles Brown and had a further three children, a son and two daughters. Alice died in 1928 supposedly aged 93 and having lived in New Zealand for 82 years. She was born in South Ireland between, from these documents, 1835 and 1841, and if she was 11 when she arrived in New Zealand, presumably she came with her parents.
She was known to my father as "Granny Brown".